Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My 2013 Emmy Roundup: Drama Series


My 2013 Emmy Roundup: Drama Series

After revealing my Top 10 dramas of the year yesterday, time to narrow down the field to the six nominations. The Emmys nominations are announced on Thursday, which gives us a full two months to discuss and predict before the awards ceremony!

Best Actress Drama
Should be: Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Justified, and Mad Men
Will be: Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Mad Men and The Good Wife
My winner: Mad Men
 Likely winner: Breaking Bad

What an unbelievable category. I could be very happy with any of my top 10 dramas getting a nod (realistically any of them but Sons of Anarchy could). But when it comes down to it, the six I chose I think are constructed the best from top to bottom for the course of the season. There seems to be many critics out there ready to give Breaking Bad its first Top Drama trophy, though it is a 50/50 split with Homeland to most. That is funny to me since I consider this past season of Breaking Bad to be its weakest (though still worthy of an Emmy nod) and Homeland’s second season seemed a little all over the place at times.

In the end, for me, the most complete show of the season was Mad Men. I find it very important for veteran shows to always stay true to their characters, and this season of Mad Men was all about staying true to its characters and reminding us all of why we fell in love with the drama back in Season 1.

If I was going to rank my six nominations from 1-6 it would be: Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, Justified, Homeland, Breaking Bad.

As for the Academy: Breaking Bad and Homeland are the clear front runners, but last season everyone thought Breaking Bad was going to take over Mad Men at the top of the food chain and there was plenty of Downton Abbey buzz … all right up until The Emmys turned into Homeland’s coming out party. So, don’t bet on the favorites too heavily!

Dark horses: Game of Thrones has a real shot to steal this thing because of the buzz it was generating while the Emmy ballots were out. There is a slight advantage to airing while the ballots are going around. And Downton Abbey is a very well-liked show among the Emmy voters as it will no doubt continue to rack up a ton of nominations … can it finally spring the upset in the biggest category of the night?

No comments:

Post a Comment